Say the word

Jesus actually does have authority to speak and change reality. He's changed spiritual things by speaking, and He's changed physical things by speaking. Both easy.

And getting into a boat he crossed over and came to his own city. And behold, some people brought to him a paralytic, lying on a bed. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven.”

And behold, some of the scribes said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming.”

But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he then said to the paralytic—“Rise, pick up your bed and go home.”

And he rose and went home.

When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men.
Matthew 9:1-8

If "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made / and by the breath of his mouth all their host," I shouldn't be surprised to see His word making changes to His universe. Water to wine, lunch to feast, dead to living: He speaks, and His creation listens and rejoices.

The challenge I run into is believing that the people He healed and fed and raised probably felt and thought a lot like I would in their shoes.

I try to imagine myself in the shoes of the paralyzed man. Jesus' authority blows me away. Never in my life have I seen someone speak and known that something really changed in response.

I try to imagine myself in the scribes' shoes. "He's literally saying He forgives sins! Who has that kind of authority? No one. We know that our LORD does not come among us and act for our good. He's too important to speak like that."

I try to imagine myself in the crowd. Jesus' authority is terrifying. I saw the guy lowered through the roof. He wasn't moving. He almost slid off the cot. He's walking out of there carrying it. That's got to be God. Could He be this good? I know He's this powerful. But could He be this good?

Would He really speak life like that?

The centurion apparently thought so. Nothing was more natural, actually (Matt 8:8-10).

Comments

Most viewed

How do we integrate grief into worship?

The Fruit of the Spirit & the Spirit-Filled Life