The mints are almost gone


Image result for mint lifesavers
A few weeks ago, I bought a little bag of mint lifesavers. I love those things.

When I opened the bag, the thought crossed my mind, "Maybe I should check how many are in the bag so I can decide how many to eat each week to make them last for a while."

I didn't want to do that, though. I didn't want to acknowledge how limited the quantity of lifesavers was. So I didn't.

And now the mints are almost gone. There really weren't many in that bag.

They're probably going to run out sooner because I didn't count them.

I didn't count them, but they are still numbered.

That's true about days, too—and miles, steps, pages and classes.

How do we respond to the limitations?

I want to respond with simplicity and trust.

Simplicity means doing what I want to do, not what I don't want to do: my actions consistent with what I believe.

Trust involves remembering that God is my shepherd, and I do not lack. No, not even when the mints do run out. Everything I have, I've received from God. If He doesn't give me more, that's His business.

But I hope I get more mints.

Comments

Most viewed

How do we integrate grief into worship?

The Fruit of the Spirit & the Spirit-Filled Life